Saturday, October 27, 2012

Leave Your Troubles At the Gate


            BEFORE Josh called and told me that he had nearly run the semi off the road to avoid a head-on collision with an anesthesiologist texting away while behind the wheel of her brand new Camero , I was sitting at my desk, head in both hands, sweat soaking through my first winter layer, brought on by my most recent employee confrontation. I thought about what I was trying to convey to Beau that morning as I chewed him out, steam pouring out of my mouth against the cold in the air and the cold emanating from him towards me. I told him to leave his troubles at the gate and pretend that nothing was more important inside this fence than work.
I imagine what it would look like if we could leave all our troubles at the gate when we arrive at work each morning, at varying times before the production lines start up at 6:00am. Children and wives and grandparents and girlfriends and mistresses and at least one self-proclaimed baby mama hop out of trucks, cars, vehicles that can only be described as jalopies, where they take their places behind the chain link fence, twining their fingers like ivy through the cold thin metal. “Can’t take ya with me, baby,” the guys say, and the concerns hop out of their vehicles with a “Pick me up when you get off?” Everyone, myself included, offer some kind of affirmative- nods, smiles through pain, a chipper ‘you know it’. Each passenger door slams closed and we blow a kiss to the fight we had last night about soggy meatloaf, or the light bill that’s two months late, or the affair that won’t die, or the bottles hidden at the bottom of the trash can again, the surgery our daughter needs that this job’s wages won’t come close to covering.
With a clear head and a clear conscience each man works like a bandit. A ten-hour day knocked out clean and true, one swift strike to the workday’s jaw. We power machines down. There’s not much about life work anyone talks about on the way back to the time clock, because inside these gates we're all pretending that work is all there is. Everyone’s an actor giving a flawless performance as a dedicated lumber stacker, lumber grader, truck driver or maintenance man, even the boss’ son starring as planer mill manager, a steadfast pillar of commitment that assures the community that this plant is here to stay. They clock out and I lock up.
We start up our cars and trucks and pull down to the gate to find our worries and troubles and concerns right where we left them. A few of the lesser concerns talk amongst themselves, but the big ones- Is my wife going to leave me? Is my girlfriend pregnant again? Am I about to lose my job? Am I going to be a good daddy?- they are silent against the fence, fingers like ice cold vices glued to the fence. The greetings are much different than the partings. Each man sighs as his biggest Worry slips in the vehicle. Each Worry leans over as if to stroke her hard-working man’s face and give him a kiss. Instead, her frigid hand slips through his chest, as if the flesh was an unbuttoned shirt in July, waiting for one cool breeze. Worry slips her fingers around her man’s heart and squeezes, infrequently, but enough so he doesn’t breath like he did at work today, after he left this worry down by the gate, put on his work face and began to act his part. Each man tries to breath, but a full and satisfyingly deep breath is just out of reach. “I missed you,” each Worry coos, looking deep into her man’s eyes. The costumes are off, the play is over, and the lights are now going up. The lighting reveals more worries, more concerns. possibly pebbles of happiness if they could focus. But today the worries are like a broken tooth he can’t stop tonguing. It’s broken and it’s hurt, but it’s his. “Missed you too, baby,” he says, and they hit the dusty trail.