Thursday, October 11, 2012

Famous Friends


ON the way to the eye doctor for my annual checkup, I started wondering what it would be like once my wife and I were best friends with Beyonce and Jayzee. I’ll learn how to correctly spell my new best friend’s name soon after we start hanging out I’m sure. This daydream came about for fairly obvious reasons. One, I was going to pick out new glasses, that day. As everyone knows, in my mind at least, the fate of the free world rests not so much on who is elected the president of the United States, or whether or not Iran obtains nukes, or the euro fails and western Europe descends into another world war, albeit economic and boring as hell (from afar). No, the fate of the free worlds rests upon what glasses I choose. Upon picking said marvelous glasses, a ripple of approving murmurs will spill out from our little town of Starkville, MS, and gather steam, momentum, the power of the people of our great nation itself, and people everywhere will begin with a whisper and finish with a shout, “What amazing glasses, Jim!” Hunger a thing of the past, poverty eradicated, all weapons of mass destruction fired into space and destroyed… as long as I make the right decision. The wrong decision, and the whispering to shouting motif rings real again in my imagination, but with anger and consternation and pure, joyous schedenfraud at my ridiculous glasses that channels into the earth, straight to every fault line on the planet, the derision of all mankind roughly grabbing those plates and cracking them in their bitter hands like old, tasteless chocolate.
            I have not been diagnosed with narcissism, but I fear its only because I usally keep these thoughts to myself. Usually.
            The other reason Jay-Z and Beyonce will obviously want to become besties with my wife and I is because we have a daughter born within a month of their daughter. I worried we wouldn’t have much to talk about when we go to visit them in Neeeew Yoooork, or when they come see us in Mississippi, but by then we’ll also be billionaires, because the fantasy series that’s been kicking around in my head for a year is going to be pretty darn successful. J.K. Rowling will keep calling my assistant saying, “One lunch, Damien, a single hour long lunch with Mr. Hunt,” to which Damien will patiently sigh and say, “J.K., I told you, Mr. and Mrs. Hunt are still with Mr. and Mrs. Jay-Z. They’re having a month long play date. He’ll text you when he gets back in town.” So why wouldn’t Jay-Z and Beyonce want to hang out with us? Probably for fear that they’ll wish their daughter was as sweet, playful, and full of baby charm as ours, I’d imagine. If imagining was something I did.
            It used to be, back when I was 12 and I first got a TV in my room, and I was watching Jay Leno on Friday nights, I’d imagine myself sitting on that couch, just joshing, just cracking Jay Leno up so bad he’d really want me to come back all the time. I’d initially be invited on because I was such an amazing football/basketball player, a white Deion Sanders. I was doing upwards of 50 push ups a day when I wasn’t tired from playing a couple hours of Nintendo (Secret of Mana) every day after school, or better yet, getting up early in the mornings to get in some RPG time. I’m not sure how many people really admit to wanting to be famous; that phrasing itself sounds horrible. I simply want to be invited to fabulous Hollywood parties, attend them when able, decline when not, and still get invited back. To be on friendly terms with Tom Brady or Drew Brees, Beyonce or Jay-Z, to call up M. Night Shamalan and say, “Come on M., the Village? I didn’t even see the whole thing through to the “climax” on the sci-fy channel and I know it was dumb. Sure, come over around 7 and we’ll kick around some ideas over some scotch.”
            It’s not so much that as thinking you are someone more special than you really are. That someone will stop you as you’re walking back to the truck after the bi-weekly writer’s group that meets on Saturday mornings and say, “Hey, you’re an amazing writer, aren’t you! Not bad looking either, I must say, not bad looking at all!” Why does this person look like Heidi Klum in her youth and talk like Yukon Cornelius? I don’t know. Childhood plus adolescence pretty much equals adulthood, and the math never checks out. It is also, for me, a way to avoid the real work of writing, which is my self-professed dream. I can’t believe those people, however, who say, “If you don’t love it, it’s just another job you’re going to hate.” When did George Walker Bush start giving out shitty life advise to Redbook? Anyone who has truly had a passion for any avocation and not been a savant at said passion will at some point or other loath that dream, right? Why this dream, you ask? Why is it so hard? Why won’t it come easier? I push and I push and I push, but the rock doesn’t even get close to the top of the hill. It moves a few inches. I give Sisyphus comparative comfort.