Monday, November 5, 2012

Those First Steps


FROM the moment Maggie stepped into the grassy wedding aisle until we crossed back over the same place, those were the happiest, most blissful moments of my life right up until our daughter was born. No doubt could stand in our glory, no fear dared to look at us. You could have seen our joy from space, shooting through the atmosphere like a rocket shooting miles of silly string behind it. There was such a happy tractor beam from her eyes to mine it’s a wonder that anyone lived through the ceremony without being torn apart. Armageddon could have come and gone and a holy bubble would have kept us safe. There is a moment just before the cocoon breaks open and releases its prize in which the shell is almost as beautiful as the contents within. Maggie walking up the grass, down the row made by pretty folding chairs, our eyes locked, had the gods made war on a nearby grassy knoll they would have laid down their weapons in awe and respect at the great good thing happening between us. Beauty in all the languages of every tongue rested on her like a raiment of light, and I know that in her eyes I was a prince. I felt like one. I heard my father, my best man, sniffing behind me, and I would have cried if the tears hadn’t been so afraid of being seared away instantly. Maggie’s father lumbered like a wounded elephant, ponderous and proud but knowing that his most precious treasure would soon be departed, would soon be gone, would soon be lost to him forever. Maggie’s smile never faltered. God cocooned the area around us and our guests to shield us from the July Georgia heat, and the temperature dropped ten degrees, a breeze stirred the long fingers of the willows behind us, and the names of all our children were written in their flittering. We grinned like idiots, like fools, like two people who have no right to be so lucky. When my faith in God trembles, I remember that moment, and I know. I just know. There isn’t that much luck in the world to deliver so good and right a woman to so undeserving a man as myself. So I pray and almost always start with thanks. Thank you for my wife, and now thank you for my daughter. I understand the heavy steps of my father-in-law, now. After my daughter was born, I loved him more than I could have thought possible. My own steps… The day is too far away. Our daughter was in those vows, our whole life was in our eyes, in those words, in those first steps through the grass as man and woman, wife and husband, sealed and spoken for and blessed more than could ever be dreamed of. And I thank you, and I thank you, and I thank you some more Lord. I will never be done thanking you.